We've Moved!

10 December 2010

Advent Reflection for Friday, December 10th

Click here for today's readings.

The first time I watched the movie Crash, I was captivated by it. I loved the power and intensity, the messages and challenges it flung at its viewers. The characters’ varied lives and stories unfolded and I watched intently and waited for the time in the movie when they would converge with clarity. Indeed there were some clear intersections between some of the characters, but it seemed there were still some separate stories being told. Still, the move was powerful and provocative and made me want to watch it several times more. Each time, I have watched it with fresh perspective. I notice new things, hear sentences that had not gotten my attention earlier, and I see more and more how the lives of all of these characters actually are interwoven. The movie has not changed, but I have, and thus, how I view it changes. I don’t just hear the words, but I listen. I begin to see what is going on instead of just watching. In today’s reading from Matthew, it seems no one is on the same page in terms of what they view. The children are providing music. But their playful flute music is not heard as such and does not bring forth dancing and joy; their songs of sadness and death do not evoke weeping. Jesus is pointing out to the crowd that if they merely hear, but do not truly listen, they will have many challenges ahead of them.

He goes on to show how the people are not willing to face the reality of what they are looking at. They completely miss the fact that John is a prophet, come to prepare the way for the Messiah. He did not fit the perception of what a prophet would be like, so they denounced him. The Son of Man came but was perceived to be too much of an ordinary guy, eating and drinking and befriending all kinds. He could not be someone of esteem. Certainly not the Lord. He, too, was dismissed.

Wisdom is the art of seeing the bigger picture, or really getting it, and knowing this with certainty. We each have our own perception, based on where we stand in life. Our experiences, our relationships, where we live and what we do give each of us our own lens on the world. In the Bible, and especially in Proverbs, wisdom is something worth the effort to attain, and begins and exists with and because of fear (respect) of God. The personified Wisdom is contrasted to the fools, who despise discipline and lack morals. There may be these different lenses but it will be wisdom that prevails in the end.

We may see what we want to see, or what we can see from where we stand in our life, in our journey of faith. God tell us our attitude is where it all begins. When I watch a movie, I may spend some of the time anticipating, even predicting the ending. But in life, I had better strive to truly see and listen for the truth. I must work diligently to keep my attitude open to wisdom.

- Laura Heil is a member of the Center for FaithJustice’s Board of Trustees