We've Moved!

09 December 2010

Advent Reflection for Thursday, December 9th

Click here for today's readings.

“I am the LORD, your God, who grasp your right hand;
It is I who say to you, Fear not, I will help you.”

I was talking to a high school senior yesterday, and he told me how he participated in the “Day of Silence” to protest abortion and fight for the right of everyone to live. He wore a red armband and did not speak all day. When kids approached him asking what he was doing, he handed them a flyer explaining his purpose. He remained silent throughout.

Most of the kids were supportive. Some asked him how, as a male, he could understand what it would be like to be a teen and pregnant. Some others had similar comments. He said to me, “Living the Gospel is really tough.” I said, “You’re right, but your realization of that truth is a huge step in your faith development.” And then I read today’s passage from the prophet Isaiah.

If we just have faith, if we are strong enough to believe – God tells us over and over again in the Scriptures that He is with us and will always be there for us. “I will grasp your right hand. I will help you. You are not alone. It is not about you. It is all about Me. You are my hands and my feet. It is I working through you.” If only we could just always believe this and not get caught up in some sort of crazy thought process about needing to save everyone somehow. Often times, just putting it all at the feet of Jesus is the hardest thing to do. Real faith is hard. Isaiah gives us a model. Abraham, willing to sacrifice his son, gives us a model. Lord, help me to believe, to trust in you.

- Dan Rackers is a member of the pastoral staff at St. Cyril of Jerusalem Church (Jamison, PA).