We've Moved!

21 December 2010

Advent Reflection for Tuesday, December 21st

Click here for today's readings.

Mary was never an integral part of my faith journey as a young child and into my adolescence. I knew who she was historically, as well as what she looked like through pictures and statues. But I didn’t really know her. Mary consistently remained a passive, distant religious figure to me.

I failed to fully experience and appreciate Mary until I entered college, studied Scripture, attended social justice programs, immersed myself in different cultures, and learned more about her role in the life of Jesus. Today, I can now say that I know and relate to Mary as someone active and present in my life and the world. She is no longer just a figure on a porcelain pedestal for me; rather, Mary is an active disciple whose witness and “Yes” to God’s call inspires my life and the local and global communities around me. Just look at today’s Gospel as an example. The first three words are: “Mary set out.” She was not at home praying, cleaning or working. Rather, she was an active traveler and obedient disciple to God’s will.

As we continue to linger in Advent Waiting, let us find a healthy balance between reflecting and acting. May our quiet waiting match our tireless work for justice and peace.

What reflection and what action is Mary calling you to on this day in Advent?

- Brian Reavey is the national coordinator of Marianist LIFE.